Whether you have been to counseling before or not, here is what to expect on your first visit:
- An initial meeting between you and your provider will run 50-60 minutes.
- You should bring your insurance card (if using insurance) and a method of payment (cash, check, or credit card- including HSA cards).
- You will first complete a few forms, including client information, emergency contact, and informed consent (your provider will go over this one with you). You may also complete a release of information form if you would like your provider to consult with someone like a physician or school counselor. If you would like to print and complete your forms before the appointment, they can be found here.
- A first visit is considered a diagnostic evaluation, so you and your provider will be discussing relevant history and your concerns or reasons for seeking services. A preliminary plan will be discussed as well.
- For minors (under the age of 18), parents may participate for all or part of the first session as desired or appropriate.